Sunday, 15 February 2015

So no one told you we would overact this way...

My views on life by me.

There is an obscure 90's TV show called the Adam and Joe Show and in one show they do a Friends parody using toys called Furends, here is a video of it anyway..


Its starts with Mouse-Gunther describing Friends as "a bunch of self obsessed one dimensional characters". At the time I didn't really know what that meant, but now obviously I know that people are not like Friends characters - there isn't a stupid one, and funny one, a neurotic one etc., and any one person is likely all of those characters, and more, combined.

I think it is interesting that most people understand that their own personality is super complex; I have contradicting views, traits and feelings based on my own personal range of experiences, and I wouldn't expect any other persons understanding of the world to be quite like mine.

This is why I don't really understand why people have such a hard time with groups of people. It doesn't really help to stereotype a bunch of people as if they are one big group of Ross's or Rachel's.

I say that I am a feminist, and I'm happy to explain why; I think people should be treated equally as individuals, not by their gender, race, or any other factor. Obviously this encompasses more than just feminism, but the reason I say 'feminist' is because for some reason this 'ism' makes people wince. A lot of people say things like 'why don't you just say 'equality' or something instead? Well, the fact that a word, that basically just stands for equality, still has such negative connotations because it contains the word 'fem', shows there is still some way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment